Welcome to Knights of Academia!
KOA is an educational organization devoted to helping individuals actively become their greatest versions of themselves through the development of self discipline and through the fostering of critical thinking.
We believe that in order to see true change in the world, we need to first embody that change within ourselves.
Why “Knights of Academia”?
Academia is in our name semi purposefully, but it’s not meant to be taken literally. We’re of course not exclusively for students which is confusing to many when first joining.
Our whole vision is to help individuals self actualize themselves and add depth to both their lives and the way they see the world. To self actualize, education is critical. Not just any education though, meaningful education that sets one on fire and gives rise to self development. We are the Knights of Academia because we are the conquerors of knowledge, and seek to better ourselves with it!
The International KOA Community
Within KOA lives a vibrant online community of forward thinkers around the globe. Want to dive in? Here are our main communication platforms that you can join right now!
Our Discord Servers
Our Flagship Server
The Two KOA Sister Servers:
– KOA International: (The Homebase for our non-english speaking friends)
– Camelot the Silly Place (Name is self explanatory)
For the uninitiated, Habitica is an ingenious platform that lets us challenge each other in an 8-bit style game. Knights of Academia is proud to have an active presence within Habitica
As of September, we now have a group on Facebook! There we will run exclusive giveaways, have discussion threads on our articles, and more.
This site is a showcase of the best we as a community have to offer you on your journey to being your best self. Everything you see here has been a joint effort to create, and there is always more room for improvement. Ask a staff team member how you can contribute today!
Welcome to Knights of Academia!
We don’t care who you are. We don’t care your skin color, your political background, We even don’t care if you prefer cats over dogs (okay, never mind, that may be a deal breaker). What we care about more than anything is that you’re dedicated to transcending where you are right now in your life and becoming the best version of yourself through self-discipline.
We truly want to give you the practical tools for a complete restructuring of your mind, to give you full control over your mind instead of allowing it to have full control over you and the outcomes of each day. Simple beginnings can lead to a complete transformation of your character for the better. Think of yourself as a company, you have to make the decision to invest in you. We just give you the tools to help make that shift of perspective possible.
We are dedicated to helping each other face reality, sword in hand, and becoming better for it.
- Simplify Everything – Your life and neural wiring will change drastically if you keep things simplified and organized. As the infamous Carl Jung has expressed, our immediate environment is a direct reflection of our psyche. Clean your room, Clean your life.
- Find the Root (core) – Whenever you are learning a certain discipline, think to yourself “What is this really teaching? What sparked humanity’s curiosity to first pursue this discipline in the first place?” This step is directly correlated with step #1, simplification. Simplify your thought process. When you are learning something, act as if you were explaining that something to a 5 year old. Allow yourself to be genuinely curious about that subject. There is beauty in Mathematics. As an example, Mathematics is simply a pure way of describing and understanding the reality around us. Those boring lengthy Philosophy lectures? They give us the tools for the biggest questions we have in life! “Why are we here? How do I live a good life?” All in all, take the absolute core of whatever information you are reviewing. Engage your human emotions into it and indulge your natural curiosities. It’s insane how far organic critical thinking will take you.
- Time is Motion – It is entirely a superpower when you discover you have the ability to wrap your hands around your week to mold the kind of week that you want to have. To have the ability to focus on what is truly important versus mindlessly chasing whatever shallow pleasures or mundane tasks presents themselves to you, moment to moment. You become the master of yourself. Take this knowledge from someone who used to be the exact opposite. Simply try Google Calendar for a week and see the influence you have in your life increase tenfold.
- Pay Attention – The Key to everything is simply paying attention! Be on guard in your day to day activities. See and fully understand the world around you. Don’t simply believe me, try it for yourself. All power originates from paying attention.
- Know Yourself – Knowledge is the measure of power your subconscious has over all domains of your life. Whether it be self-image, finances, health, or personal excellence, nearly all of your power comes from how you have molded your subconscious, directly or indirectly. Through the blessing of free will, we have the power to directly influence our subconscious through use of habit-forming. Once you learn the vital and very fundamental skill of self-discipline, you can begin to form real and powerful habits that will have a branching effect on excellence in every facet of life.
- Be Conscious of your Total Diet – There are many factors that can have a powerful impact on the formation of our subconscious. One of the most underrated factors is our complete diet. When I talk of diet, I do not mean merely managing our food intake. Our diet is all information we allow into our minds for consumption. Though we may claim we have full control of the way we think about the media we consume, there are hundreds of scientific studies that the media you consume will have some impact on what you believe. You can do yourself so many favors by simply protecting yourself from useless information that keeps you mildly entertained.
- Read the Source Documents – Reading source documents and creating your own interpretations of thoughts, philosophies, ideas, events, (political or otherwise) is a skill we need to develop now more than ever. Every time you consume someone’s interpretation of a source document, you are consuming a watered-down version that has already lost some of its core truths through the mind of another individual. There are studies to show that the less we think critically, the less our brains opts for thinking critically. This is an extremely dangerous phenomenon that will weaken you in every aspect if you allow it to. Philosophy is a great starting point for those looking to further refine the crucial skill of critically thinking.
I hope this helps someone out there. Knights of Academia is founded on the strong belief that the world is not a cold and dark place despite your immediate environment most likely telling you otherwise, however it may do so. Stay on guard and pay close attention when those false belief patterns show up. Have the courage to share the truth that you have experienced personally. I promise it will have exponential effects. This is the starting point for creating a life worth living and a world worth living in.
Better yourself, better your world.
Destitutus ventis, remos adhibe – If the wind will not serve, take to the oars. (Latin Proverb)
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the put from pole to pole, I thank whatever Gods may be, For my unconquerable soul. In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have neither winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance, My head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears Looms but the horror of the shade. And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishment the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. – Invictus by William Ernest Henley